Hot chocolate is the ultimate winter indulgence. But the powdery packets from the store can leave you hopped up on a lot of sugar and little flavor.
Today, we’re letting you in on a little family secret and sharing Sam’s recipe for hot chocolate. It’s warm and indulgent without being overly sweet.
We’ve been making this recipe since 2008, when we decided on a whim to whip up a batch of hot chocolate and invite friends over for a night of carols. The event became an instant annual tradition and we’ve continued it every year since. We even hosted one in December 2010… three days before our oldest daughter was born!
This past December we hosted our 12th annual hot chocolate party – but you don’t have to wait 11 more months to enjoy this recipe. This drink is the perfect way to warm up on any winter night!
Fat Equals Flavor
Sam first had real hot chocolate when he lived in Paris, it was unlike anything he’d ever tasted.
The key to good hot chocolate is to have the right amount of fat. Powdered versions lack flavor because they have no fat. Our recipe calls for whole milk and cream, which makes it decadent and delicious.
Because it’s not overly sweet, this hot chocolate is perfect for pairing with cookies! Come by the bakery and get a tray of cookies or iced shortbreads to make this a perfectly sweet treat for any night of the week.
Sam’s Hot Chocolate – Makes 4 Servings
- 8 oz high quality dark chocolate (We recommend Guittard or Valrhona, available at Central Market)
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream (save ½ cup)
- 3 cups whole milk
- Bring 1 cup of heavy cream to a boil on the stove. Pour the cream over the dark chocolate. Let it melt and then stir together.
- Slowly add ½ cup of cold cream and the milk to the mixture, while stirring.
- Return the entire amount to the stove and slowly warm it to the preferred temperature.
Enjoy this delicous drink as is, or top with whipped cream & sprinkles for an extra treat!
If you’re hosting a party, grab some insulated cups from the dollar store and pick up a few carafes. This will keep your hot chocolate at the perfect temperature all night!